Getting adequate nutrition does not have to be difficult. In fact, it’s simple. I wanted to share this salad recipe with you to give you an idea of how to make an easy, nutritious meal at home. The reason I enjoy salads, is because you can put so many different ingredients in it to give yourself a variety and make it exciting! When making a salad, make sure you are including different colors of fruits or vegetables. Each color indicates a vitamin or mineral that in contained in that vegetable. For example, carrots (orange vegetables) contain beta carotene which aids in eye health, healthy skin and improved immunity.
Here are my tips on how to put together an easy, nutritious salad:
- I like to start my salad with a base green (kale, spinach, romaine, etc.) and then add from there.
- Next, I will add at least 2-3 more vegetables to add color such as carrots and mushrooms.
- Then, add a protein of choice– nuts are a good choice for both fat and protein, but chicken, fish or beans can be good lean protein options as well. As for the dressing, I like to make my own. – recipe below.
1. Dressing- 1 cup of liquid aminos mixed with 2 tbsp of honey and 1/2 a lemon to make a low calorie, sweet-salty dressing that I truly enjoy.
2. Mix ingredients and dressing in a small bowl and add desired amount of dressing to favorite vegetetables and enjoy!